Tuesday, May 11, 2010

I'm building a computer for gaming. Can someone give me some advice?

I'm planning on getting an ASUS P5B Deluxe motherboard, which is DX10 capable, and a GeForce 8800 GTS 320mb videocard, with plenty of RAM to support Vista, but I am concerned about some perfomance on Vista with games such as Battlefield 2 and Medieval II Total War. I heard there may be performance loss when using higher shaders. If I stick to XP, I lose the DX10 capabilities, right? I would greatly appreciate some advice on which operating system is going to run these games the best, and whether I should forget about DX10 to avoid Vista troubles. Thanks!





P.S. I also heard there are problems with sound quality on Vista. Is that correct?I'm building a computer for gaming. Can someone give me some advice?
Okay vista does not play about 70-75 percent of newer games dx10 ain't worth the having to use buggy vista to use. If you are a serious gamer you should wait about 6 months+ to even think about vista because you will have nothing but problems with it like the 10000 other people that post problems here on YA. No games ';require'; dx10 yet so do not justify that as a reason to go to buggy vista.I'm building a computer for gaming. Can someone give me some advice?
I am assuming (and hoping) that you know about computers :)


if you don't, don't try to buy one.


anyways, window Vista is not really ';stable';, it has tons of problems so far. Sigh... I am not a gamer but with my limited computer knowledge I would advise Vista. Reason, looking at the games you listed, i am assuming that you would like Halo, and Halo 2 is ONLY for VISTA. If not, i would advise xp because dx10 is capabilities is cool, but it is not worth it if you don't even know if your games will run smoothly Vista. Plus, you need a high end computer to even run Vista.
Ok, firstly the games you listed don't even support DX10 so don't worry about that. You could simply dual boot XP and Vista. There are games coming out in the future that will support DX10 but for now it isn't needed. At the minute you would be better off with XP to play those games, but as I said you can just dual boot because Vista is a really really good operating system. And yes XP only offers DX9.





As for sound, this is generally true but with your motherboard you will have no problems. The more expensive components have got pretty good vista drivers by now so all should be fine.
That sounds like a nice rig you're going to build. Bravo. I game and build rigs as well and have held off of Vista because of the fact that Microsoft is notorious for bringing software to market that has so many bugs, they might as well include a can of ';Raid'; with it. XP on the other hand has been around for quite some time now and IS reliable. Do what you will, but imo, wait for about a year or so before getting Vista. DX10 isn't critical yet and the price point needs to come down a bit.

No comments:

Post a Comment